Report To: Referral Specialist Supervisor
ADA: Pool Position Ability to sit and/or stand periodically during workday and lift up to 20 lbs., when necessary. Computer data entry a portion of job duty.
OSHA: Must adhere to universal precautions, to include blood borne pathogen protection at all times.
Job Summary: The Referral Specialist is responsible for coordinating and completing referrals ordered by FCHC providers, acquiring and verifying third party information for referrals, obtaining and arranging referral appointments. Tracking and maintaining reports in the Athena system when referrals are completed, no showed or refused and maintain referral follow ups.
Referral Specialist – Primary:
- Coordinate all aspects of completing referrals ordered by FCHC providers (i.e., obtain pre-op authorizations and insurance authorizations.
- Contact patients once authorization obtained.
- Arrange referral appointments ensuring proper paperwork is faxed to specialist for appointment per orders (i.e., labs, x-rays, comp notes).
- Track referral “no shows”, in the medical record and bring to the attention of the ordering physician.
- Maintain communication with the provider and patient regarding the most appropriate specialist to refer to in each case.
- Maintain specialty provider list including payor sources they accept.
- Input referrals into i2i tracking system and generate referral form.
- Make appropriate notations in the medical record and bring to the attention of the ordering Provider and/or Center Clinical Director any problems regarding obtaining referrals including:
- Obtaining authorizations from third party payors.
- Making appointments with a specialist.
- Patients refusing a referral.
- Patients not showing at a referral appointment.
- High school diploma or
- Proof of satisfactory completion of an approved medical assistant program or nursing assistant program; or one (1) year of experience in a medical related field.
- Registered and Certified Medical Assistants must maintain current RMA/CMA
- Current CPR
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to maintain confidential
- Interest in and ability to work with people of all socio-economic
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonable related business duties as assigned by supervisor.
- This organization reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.