Medical Assistant – Infectious Disease
Position Control #
Role and Responsibilities:
- Screens patients according to FCHC protocols (i.e. obtaining vital signs, height, weight, vision/hearing testing) and any other procedures directed by the supervising provider/Clinical Coordinator, or Clinical Support
- Performs accurate charting in medical record in accordance with FCHC policies and procedures.
- Provide assistance to nurses and providers as
- Maintain exam rooms and work areas (i.e. keeping well stocked, orderly and clean, to include disinfecting exam tables between patients as per infection control policy).
- Perform phlebotomy/finger stick as permitted by
- Administers injections according to position requirements (i.e., subcutaneous, intramuscular and intradermal injections).
- Perform procedures, as ordered (i.e., EKGs, nebulizer treatments, pulse oximeter, ear lavages, ).
- Able to accurately make/cancel/reschedule appointments in the computer appointment system. Able to follow-up on appointment to determine patient compliance and contact patients to reschedule (no-show policy).
- Maintain strict infection control (i.e., sterilizing instruments, performing procedures, needle disposal, ).
- Understand all emergency protocols and respond
- Have knowledge of Infectious Diseases (i.e. HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, etc.)
- Experience or the ability to work with patients of all socio-economic, LGTBQ community members AND to have knowledge about our community leadership in these different areas.
- Have current knowledge of and participate in maintenance of drug assistance
- Helping Infectious Diseases director with administrative tasks as necessary.
- Understand and assist in the referral process of patients to outside services or providers. Follow-up on patient referrals, as necessary
- Understand mandatory reporting of child/elder abuse policy and
- Understand State requirements for reporting of communicable diseases and offering of special labs for pregnant patients.
- Understand and utilize the VFC program where applicable and document accurately including 680 forms and vaccine administration
- Counsel patients per treatment plan (i.e., diet, exercise, medication, )
- Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span. Must be able to identify and categorize each patient’s age-specific grouping of needs, such as those for infant, adolescent, or geriatric
- Performs in-house waived testing, after they are quality controlled, which may include some or all of the following: pregnancy tests, hem cue/Hemoglobin, glucometer, urine dip, hem occult-stool, oraquick, or throat swab. Each test will be done according to directions/procedure and results logged in patients’ medical record.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- High school diploma or
- Proof of satisfactory completion of an approved medical assistant program or nursing assistant program; or
- One (1) year of experience in a medical related field.
- Current CPR certification
- Current Florida Driver’s License and/or reliable transportation
- Spanish and Creole Preferred
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and employee will perform other reasonable related business duties as assigned by supervisor.
This organization reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.